Homemade Edibles: Easy Beginner Recipes for Cannabis Users
Updated: Jul 11
Creating your own homemade cannabis-infused edibles is a great way to reap all the medicinal benefits without having to inhale. It also allows you to experiment with a variety of recipes and create appetizing edibles tailored just for you. Even if you’re not an expert in the kitchen, making your own edibles can be simple! Below, we have provided some easy to follow recipes that you can try at home.
Cannabutter is a staple that can be used in a variation of cannabis-infused edible recipes. However, the key to making cannabutter is to first decarboxylate the cannabis flower. It is important to decarb the cannabis so that the THCA can be converted into THC, which will produce the euphoric effects and ‘high’ feeling.
1 cup of butter
1 cup (7-10 grams) of ground cannabis, decarboxylated
1. Decarb the cannabis: Preheat your oven to 245ºF. Grab a non-stick, oven-safe tray and place parchment paper over it. Place your cannabis buds onto the tray and put the tray into the oven. Set a timer for 30-40 minutes. If your cannabis is older and/or drier, it may require less time. Every 10 minutes, lightly shake the tray to mix the buds and equally expose the surface area of the tray.
2. Grind the cannabis: Grind the decarbed cannabis with a hand grinder. If you do not have a grinder, you can break up the bud with your hands.
3. Melt the butter: Add 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of water into a saucepan. Let the contents simmer on low heat to let the butter melt.
4. Add cannabis to the butter: Add your ground cannabis to the pot as your butter begins to melt.
5. Simmer the butter: Keep the heat on low (ideally above 160ºF but never letting it exceed 200ºF) and let the butter simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally. The butter mixture should never come to a full boil.
6. Strain the butter. Grab a jar and set a funnel on top of the opening and line it with cheesecloth. When the cannabutter has cooled, pour it over the cheesecloth funnel into the jar so it can strain.
7. Refrigerate the butter. Excess water may form at the bottom of the jar. You can remove the solid butter with a knife and drain out the water. If this occurs, the butter will need to be refrigerated for about an hour before draining the water.
Canna Shortbread Cookies
This simple 3 ingredient recipe will provide you with a sweet treat and long-lasting medicinal benefits!
¼ cup of sugar
½ cup cannabutter
1 ½ cups flour
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Beat the cannabutter and sugar together until it is smooth and mixed well.
3. Add the flour and mix until a smooth paste begins to form.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut into shapes. Or, you can pack the mix into a baking pan and slice into slabs after baking.
5. Chill the dough for 20 minutes in the fridge.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cookies just start to brown.
Brownies are one of the most popular forms of homemade edibles in the cannabis community. This treat is great to satisfy any sweet tooth craving and the chocolate can help to cover up the herbal flavor of cannabis, even for the pickiest of eaters.
½ cup cannabutter (melted)
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
⅓ cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
½ cup flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grab an 8” pan and either grease and flour or line the pan with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, mix the cannabutter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
4. Beat in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
5. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes.
If you are a qualifying patient who is suffering from one of the qualifying conditions and is seeking medical marijuana treatment, schedule a telemedicine evaluation, and gain access to Ohio dispensaries. You can schedule your appointment by calling us at 866-457-5559 or book your appointment online.